Friday, August 31, 2007

From Rags to Riches

The FFXI update has come and delivered hilariously overpowered two-handed weapons. There was much rejoicing (by Dark Knights and Dragoons). It's virtually impossible to find a Lesser Colibri outside Whitegate right now because guys with little dragons called Fluffy following the around are killing them all.

For two-handed weapon users 1 DEX is now the same as 1 Acc and 1 STR is 1 Att, which has radically altered the way that people using two-handed weapons gear themselves.

Which worked out nicely for me, because I spent the money I made mining (see below) to buy a Sniper's Ring for 350k. Which promptly dropped 60k more in a few hours to 290k. And I stopped looking after that. FFXIAH.com hasn't worked for Hades or Remora since the update, so that makes it easier.

A lil' Mining

I was inspired by a thread on BG to go and try my hand at mining on Mount Z yesterday. I spent 15 minutes running around without seeing any mining points, but once I learned where they pop (and wasn't unknowingly following an RMT miner) I started hacking away at them.

At which point I realized I didn't have my Mining clothes with me. So, I got nothing or broke my pickaxes about 70% of the time.

But on my third mining point I got a coveted Khroma Ore. They're used to upgrade Salvage body pieces, so they're a ludicrous 3oo,ooo gil each.

I went through several more stacks of pickaxes and got nothing of interest, and I got myself killed and had to homepoint. But that ore made it all worth it.

A lil' Sky

Tonight we did a Sky run as we usually do on Thursdays. I was a little late, so people were already trying to pop Despot when I got there. I went in search of a Curtana to pop Brigandish Blade, found one, and met up at Despot.

It popped a few minutes later, and thanks to the patch it was claimed to us, and we started killing it. I had the good fortune to killed by the bastard. LOL. We went and tried to pop Steam Cleaner next. It popped in about twenty minutes and we killed it. Next, we killed Brigandish Blade.

As we waited for people to pass on the gem so we could leave, somebody mentioned doing a KS99 again as people kept talking about all night.

A lil' Dragon

I had thought people were talking about the KS99 with a King Behemoth that spams the Meteor spell. Which thoroughly $#%&s up whatever poor bastard didn't get out of range of it in time.

But, people were in fact talking about The Early Bird Catches the Wyrm. Which I had heard horrible things about it being really difficult and needing to Chainspell Stun to actually clear it. As it takes 99 Kindred's Seals to attempt and those do take a good while to accumulate I wasn't eager to be the first person to use my seals on it.

Everyone with an Orb did /random as normal to decide who goes first. I /random'd a 964. I said "wth" and a bunch of people LOL'd.

I had said I didn't want to go first, so the next highest person went. I also said that if I didn't go we'd win and a Speed Belt would drop. If you call me for tomorrow's Lucky Lotto numbers, you'll probably win. The guy who lotted next highest traded his orb.

We entered, pulled it, beat it down to 75%. It went airborne and all the BLMs (including myself) went crazy on it. It landed and we finished it off.

In the future I'll probably get my AF1 set out of storage, the thing was pretty resistant with Thunder IV only doing ~100 damage several times.

A new PLD to the LS, Ogdeath, went with his orb and got a Speed Belt (30M) and a bunch of other stuff that totalled around 700k.

Somebody up there hates me. Lots. LOL.

We did a second run, and I lotted 929. I got a copy of the game on PC, but haven't installed it yet, so there was no 1337 h4><0r0ry involved. The second went as smoothly as the first, and I got a pile of nice loot.

Notable drops included:
Unsho (I'm keeping this for NIN. I'd have sold it an gotten an Unji, but it's 600k compared to 500k at this point. Not worth the effort or the 11k AH fee.)
Nokizaru Shuriken (Keeping this for HNM tanking on NIN...not that I actually do any. :-p)
Shining Cloth (Selling!)
and Siren's Hair. (Already sold!)

Lawl worthy drops included:
Raxa (NPCs for more than the AH price right now)
Beetle Blood
Hi-Ether +3 (which I kind of expect will never sell)
Coral Fragment (maybe I can pester an LS mate with high level Bonecraft to Reraise Hairpin it?)
and Dragon Meat which I'll actually use having 100 Cooking and all.

I think I forgot one, but it fell into the "lawl" category.

So all in all, it was a productive farming night in Sky and I'll have over 1M gil for the first time in quite a long time once the Shining Cloth sells.

The Check's in the Mail

I've already mostly decided what I'm going to spend this all on, but I can go two ways with it.

The first, sell everything (Unsho and Shuriken included) and my Spectacles and get a Peacock Charm.

The second, is hang on to Unsho and the Enmity+2 shuriken, and get two of three things. An Unji to complete the U/U speed katana set for my Ninja, An Arhat's Gi +1 for tanking HNMs (and/or just trying to hold hate in general), or a Serket Ring so that I can use my Sorcerer's Ring with a Grip that was added in the last patch. I can't use my Asklepios and a grip because of macro space limitations.

I'm leaning towards the Unji and Serket just because I very rarely am asked to come to any LS events as Ninja, and I would like to be able to use grips on BLM with my Sorcerer's Ring.

BLM Def/VIT/-Dmg taken

I found a Livejournal link on BG, and decided to give it a read. It's by a BLM on I'm not sure what server by the name of Kanican. He's got several BLM guides up, and I'm always interested in learning better ways to do things, so I took a look. He emphasized the importance of "standing" gear which has high defense, percentage based damage reduction (aka Earth Staff), and Auto Refresh from a body piece.

I'd already been manually swapping to Terra's Staff and my relic body which has Auto Refresh on it, but he convinced me to finally write a macro that does it. The results while being wailed upon are pretty impressive and saved my ass on the Wyrm tonight. With Terra's Staff (-20% DMG), Jelly Ring (-5% DMG), and Sorcerer's Earring (active in red HP, -30% DMG). The DMG-% caps at 50%.

I went from taking 450 damage per hit when it landed and I pulled hate the first fight to a little under 200 when I was in red HP the second fight with my orb. My LS buddies were nice enough to shower me in Cure IIIs, so I didn't die either run. Blink and Stoneskin of course helped in that regard as well.

I was kind of surprised that the terror status effect lasted so long. It used the Roar ability that does it, and used it again but it had no effect because I was still terrorized.

An interesting evening, and I should probably be off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment