Monday, December 22, 2008

Persona 2: Innocent Sin Completed!


I finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin earlier today! I haven't played P2: Eternal Punishment yet, but the unreleased in the US Innocent Sin had a great story, decent battle system, and some catchy music. Particularly the town music. My only complaint would be that there was a significant amount of grinding. You can get to the final boss around level 50. But it's nearly impossible to beat him/her/it until almost level 60 which takes close to four hours to level that much. You also need to use the cumbersome demon negotiation system to get tarot cards to make new personas which doesn't speed things up any.

As for why it never made it to the US, I've got to concur with the reasons I had heard before playing it. Neo-nazis ressurecting Hitler (spoiler: you get to re-kill his ass) and a homosexual relationship between the silent protagonist and a party member probably would have been too much for an American audience when the game came out. Then again, the Shin Megami Tensei series games that came out later on PS2 featured cannibalism, Satan as a prominent figure in the story, and highschool kids shooting themselves in the head with guns. So, I guess it would have been low enough profile that nobody would have really given a shit in all likelihood.

Overall though, it's quite good as a PSX era game.

Much thanks to Gemini and Translator Tom for all their hacking and translating prowess so I was able to enjoy this JP-only title in English. I'm hoping to pick up P2: Eternal Punishment, Persona 3, 4, and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne sometime in the near future. The last of which I'm really looking forward to as it is supposed to be very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment