Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pretty Productive Day in FFXI

I logged on to FFXI today to see "this MNK sucks" in LS chat. It turns out, several people in Epic were doing Nyzul Isle runs. I mentioned that sucky MNKs is what happens when one associates with non-Evil Monks, and was invited to come along for a run or two. Our first run we moved slow and were pressed for time towards the end.

We got a Cerberus boss (Floor 80) and started killing it. At ~15% HP my PS2 overheated and shutoff. Again. I pointed a fan at it, turned it back on, and logged back in to see I got a bunch of tokens as the Assault ended. The Denali body and SAM weapon dropped. Neither of which really interest me, so I didn't mind not having a chance to lot anything.

Got Corporal?

The win did put me at 25/25 points needed to rank up, so later that day I did my usual /shout "Anyone seen the Warhorse Hoofprint? /tell Evilpaul {please}".

Moments later, a guy sent me a /tell saying he saw it in Caedarva Mire on top of a hill.

Which isn't the most helpful description, there are several hills in Caedarva Mire, but it was enough as I went to the hill people EXP on Imps/Spongilla flies near Azouph Isle staging point and found it.

I went back to Naja Psychoheem and tada~And a quick trip over to the former Gate Guard guy in Whitegate netted me one of the two remaining Imperial Standing items I wanted:The Shark Gun!

Not as good as a Coffin-maker for NIN/RNG, but a close enough second. (Also, I don't have to unlock it with 500 WS points which I would prefer never to do ever again.) Of course, my Marksmanship is only ~107 so I won't get to do anything with NIN/RNG until I cap it.

Nyzul Isle Take Two

A second run and we had a Hydra boss. I mentioned that my record with Hydra isn't very good. The fucker spams his Physical Shield and is apparently immune to non-elemental damage (a.k.a. Chi Blast and Formless Strikes) making me pretty useless while it's up. But we killed it and got a PUP weapon!Nobody else wanted it, so I can finally get Stringing Pummel and have a non-sucky WS as PUP! :-D

Stringing Pummel Time!

I went to work breaking the latent afterwards. I was going to do it outside Whitegate, but decided to venture to the more classic Kuftal Tunnel.

Unfortunately, as a result of leveling mostly in Campaign battles, my Automaton's skills are all greatly underleveled. So I can't do Magic Mortar -> Dragon Kick to make Light. I did get lots of skill ups though, including a few in Guard, so it was worth the extra time.I decided to go kill some lizards and see if I could get Amemet to pop. (There was nobody there camping it.) This was tricky because Guivre was up walking around looking for people who would make good dragon food.

I hadn't even cleared the room, when:Amemet popped!

I didn't realize it, but it actually patrols the place in a big loop like Guivre. When it got to a spot near the entrance I pulled it!

Which in retrospect really wasn't a very good idea.I got it to 80-90% or so (no Windower :-P) before it killed me. The people standing behind me didn't claim it after I died. They just watched it run off. They did Raise me though, which was quite nice of them.

Amemet spent almost 30 more minutes running around before some people claimed and killed it.

Needs Moar DEF?

I didn't have Signet when I was in Kuftal, but I'm noticing that my PUP/DNC gets hit a LOT harder than my MNK/DNC. That's partly because of lower DEF. I'm wearing some Cobra Unit stuff which has shitty DEF. And also because I've got ~25 less VIT. I also don't have any Physical Damage -% gear for PUP besides a Jelly Ring which is not particularly effective on its own. I could /NIN obviously, but then I miss out on Guard skill ups. I also only have 12% Haste so recasts would suck.

In general, Decent Challenge and higher mobs are simply hitting too hard to use any Automaton setup other than the WHM one as PUP/DNC which is disappointing. I'll have to see about getting some Haste/DEF/VIT/PHY DMG-% build and see how I fair then.

I didn't actually finish the latent as I had other things to do (more on that in a moment), but did get Auto melee skill to 221 which is just a few points shy of Magic Mortar.

The Wyrmking Rapeth!

I left Kuftal to go do another Bahumat V2 run. I think it went pretty well.As you might imagine from the picture, Bahumat got off a Teraflare.The CS Stun was screwed up and we got hit with the 4 status Dispel TP move twice. The first took both Soul Voice March songs and one Minuet. The second took the other Minuet and one Madrigal. As a result, my Meat Mithkabob+Berserk still had me mostly hitting for 0s. (I did pull off a 526 Howling Fist though which was probably most of my damage.) A DRG used Angon on it part way through and my damage went up somewhat but was still horrible.

The two other MNKs there (one /NIN one /WAR) performed similarly terrible.

As Bahumat's HP hit low single digits I saw him charging up Teraflare and was pretty sure it was all over. Fortunately, Davik RR'd and finished him off with some RNG omgwtfDMGhax of some sort.

Drops were decent.Epic got a Bahumat's Staff and Yunarille got the B.'s Scythe. Still no B.'s Mask for our tanks though. The cloth is going to a Bard for their JSE.

I'm not sure whether we have another Monarch's Orb leftover still or not. So we'll probably do some more Ouryu fights once some Cloud Evokers actually drop from ENMs.

It's kind of strange. You do ENMs for Ouryu orbs (sometimes). You do Ouryu for Bahumat orbs (100%). You do Bahumat get 2 of the Rare/Ex (100%) and maybe some crafting materials. It's in effect tiered almost the exact way Sea Jailers used to be yet nobody thinks of it that way.

I could probably @Bahumat's Staff on the next batch we do and get one if it drops. On the other hand, I'd be tossing it immediately into Storage, so saving points for something else would probably make more sense.

Working Some Leather?

I couldn't think of a subtitle and didn't want to use the obvious bondage-related joke.

Anyway, I've continued to try and get all crafts to 60 on Evilpaul. I think I'm doing pretty well. I've been making tiger leather for a while now, and hit 56 earlier.Another level, and I can skill up turning all those tanned hides into Hard Leather Rings which will probably end up being NPC'd.

I'll also cross the completely arbitrary, but cool because it's a nice, big, round number of 50,000 Achievement Points on FFXIAH.com once it and the LS Community site are updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment