Thursday, November 12, 2009

So... what do Network Administrators actually do?

I've been looking for a job lately. And it hasn't been going well. In fact, it's been going rather poorly.

The job interview from Monday resulted in a nice "Fuck you" letter in the mail today. I hope those assholes get swine flu followed by some nice Super AIDS. Bitches.

But as I look at more jobs on various job websites I find myself wondering "What the hell do Network Administrators actually do?" I mean you've got lots of user's PCs and some servers and various network devices. Once they're setup and plugged in they mostly keep working. If you're spending 8 hours a day 5 days a week at a place I can't picture it being constant pandemonium with shit breaking everywhere and the servers needing constant poking and prodding. Hide in the back and surf the Internet? Sneak out the back and go for coffee?

I'm having a hard time picturing it as anything but either insanely heavy constant work or completely mind-numbingly boring.

Anybody been in this line or work or have a friend who's told them what their day is like?

3 comments:

  1. Trust me, they are busy. I am in a 20 person company and they keep me busy. We have to remember some people are just complete idiots when it gets to computers. "The printer's not working" "Why can't I see the server" "My email is going wonky" That's the life of Network Admins lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, be glad you at least got a "Fuck you" letter. It's better to know that you didn't get a job (so you can move on to the next interview) than to sit around waiting to hear back from them, only to finally get ahold of the hiring manager 6 weeks later and find out the position has already been filled.

    As for Net Admins... yeah. Like he mentioned above: idiots will keep you plenty busy and depending on the company size, it gets exponentially more complex. More users = more security profiles/groups you need to manage when people get hired/fired/switch-projects/etc... Same goes for setting up new computers with the proper software for all of these people. Then there's the whole firewall and constant virus nonsense you gotta deal with... unless you're lucky enough to have a separate Security Team to handle all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about the letter, I started sending out more resumes the same day. Hopefully, I'll have another interview sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete