Friday, September 24, 2010

Recommend me some PS2 games?

I've mostly beaten all the PS2 games I own, but I know there's plenty of good ones I haven't played. I'm open to anything from RPG to SRPG to Action game to weird shooter or what have you. I picked up a bunch of the Greatest Hits/$20 ones over the past year.

I can finally say I finished Resident Evil 4 which was fun (better than the fifth one, if a bit longer than it needed to be).

A friend gave me his two God of War games (he got a non-backwards compatible PS2) and those were fun...if a bit long as well. Also, fuck those puzzles that require the kicking block move.

Of course I played most of the big RPGs for the PS2, but I'm sure I missed a few good ones.

Anyone suggest a title or two worth picking up? A personal PS2 top ten list to share with me?

3 comments:

  1. I'd say the .hack//GU series are a definite try, It's an offline story driven MMORPG environment type of JRPG, It spans 3 games, The first four volumes for .hack// Are also on PS2..However those are incredibly repetitive, so it might feel like a drag to finish FOUR of those. The story somewhat spans from Series to anime, But you can probably find a sypnosis online. The //GU series are a definite for me, Tales of the Abyss is another I'd recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few others: Xenosaga series is good, Notably Episode 1 and 3, Episode 2 had too many changes in it that made me want to throw the controller out the window, but i finished it for story's sake, 3 polished it all as best. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, JRPG again, Also very good, Crazy difficulty spikes, a prequel to the PSX title Valkyrie profile, there's also a Port of that one on PSP titled Valkyrie profile: Lenneth.

    If you ever played Atelier Iris 1-3, I recommend Mana Khemia 1 and 2, both successors of The Atelier Series, Atelier series being good as well, There's Ar Tonelico 1 and 2, Wild arms 5, Oh and Rogue Galaxy which was a huge sleeper hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personal Top 10 PS2 games? Hmm, let's see.

    In no particular order:

    Xenosaga 1 & 3 (download episode 2 videos to prevent possible suicide.)
    Red Faction
    Silent Hill (1st one is PSX, but I recommend stopping at SH3)
    Ico / Shadow of the Colossus
    Zone of the Enders
    Valkyrie Profile 2 (As Seisoku mentioned)
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Dragon Quest VIII

    This is just off the top of my head, so pardon repeats or games you've already played.

    ReplyDelete