Monday, January 10, 2011

Of Flying Goat Men

I stopped playing for a while because I didn't feel like I could get anything done with Abyssea, and Abyssea made most of the rest of endgame kind of irrelevant. Sure you can't get a Duelist Chapeau in Abyssea, but you don't need it with a 10MP/tick Refresh Atma. So the past few days have been refreshing in that I've both made some nice inroads into the crimson-skied horror that is Abyssea and gotten a bunch of jobs up to the level cap.

Flying Goat Men Ahoy!


I know that they're technically called "Caturae." Or something. And Dvergers (however that's actually spelled) are closer to flying goat men, but I like the nickname. There's six of the guys in the Abyssea zones and killing them can give an Atma, cool items, and if you've got a bunch of zone clears an Abyssite that tells you the element of NMs' weakness. I only had synthetic Atma (read: nearly entirely craptacular ones; <3 Kirin), so the prospect of getting some that are actually useful was appealing. So when I saw a /shout for one I naturally sent a /tell.

First up, was Aby-Tahrongi's Iratham.
I was there as Scholar and basically just cured the THF who was tanking it, and tried to keep him status ailment free. The way kills go is different than pre-Abyssea content. First, people try all the different elemental weaponskills until the NM is staggered by one. This makes it so you get 100% key item/Atma drops upon its death. Then, you kill the shit out of the NM without pulling hate/dying/whatever like pre-Abyssea stuff. There's other staggers, but for goat men they don't really matter.

And of course I didn't win lot on any of the cool drops:
So one down, five to go.

Next up, with the same group, was Sippoy in Aby-Vunkerl.
The strategy was much the same. Tank holds the NM while people try elemental WS. Red proc stagger and then we kill the shit out of it.
The fight went pretty smooth. Somebody tried to open/aggroed/something'd one of those mimic pyrixes and died hilariously halfway through.

The group continued on to do a third flying goat man. I was pretty psyched to be getting so much done in a single group at this point.
So we moved on to Aby-Attowha (however it's spelled) and the flying goat man formerly known as Yaanei. The fight was much the same as the previous two. I stood around and cured people, threw up useful Accession buffs, etc. The ending was a surprise though:
I guess I can't roll shit lots everytime? I actually ended up winning a STR/DEX+8 Acc+5 head piece that nicely replaces my O.hat and Genbu's Kabuto (for VIT mod heavy WS) for Ninja and Monk weaponskills.

I was pleased to see that the group was going to continue with "KI farming" for the next flying goat man NM. If you didn't play much in an update or two, that's short for key item farming. Damn I've felt like such a noobie this week. LOL. The flying goat man in question was Raja in Aby-Grauberg. So we got to kill a few things including my first Fire/Iron Giant.
And afterwards, I got an awesome Atma. If I had any 2H weapon jobs.
It gives Regain on 2H weapons or some such. But at this point we were ready for Raja...or so I thought.
It turns out Raja is a huge fucker. Seriously, I have a fire he/she/it can go die in. We had problems until two or three people switched to BST and we stuck pets on it mostly while a Monk continued to tank it. At this point I nuked it with Tier IVs. Eventually, we won.

It was a new day and with a new group that I continued my flying goat men slaughter. There was a /shout in Port Jeuno and I got invited in response to my /tell.
This NM was in Aby-Miseraux (sp? :P). The fight was fast and straightforward. The usual spam for weakness and then murder the shit out of. None of these five NMs compared to what would follow.
Rani is a strange NM in that it absorbs damage based on what it's doing. Nuke it while it's nuking you? It recovers an assload of HP. I tossed out nukes as SCH right after it was done casting (there's an interval in between spells), and we got it to 1% with a guy using a Primeval Brew before wiping.
I got a "bonus" death for DoTing it as it wandered off. So that didn't end well.

Luckily, the next day there was another /shout and I got to try again. This time we needed to farm up the key items to pop the NM. That was easy enough. First, a Chariot mob.
Which had the nice key item drop of some new Abyssite. Then, an Iron Giant mob. Twice. The first time somebody used the red "!!!" thing twice, so it didn't drop anything.
The Atma is pretty worthless for me I'm pretty sure. (I'm too lazy to go and double check.)

Then, we all left to get more time.

And I went shoe shopping:
Those and some VIT+3 shoes were the best I ended up with. I guess I could use them on PUP? Unless somebody chimes in with a better use for the Heroes zones Trophies I'm planning on just spamming boots. They can reportedly have 4% Haste on them. Like most randomly Augmented stuff the majority of the pieces look to be garbage even with the best possible Augments.

Anyway, do people kill Rani anyway other than Primeval Brew slaughtering?
I mean, sure it (usually) works, but it's like TP burning Bahamut...back when people still did Bahamut. Or TP Burning AV if there was some other strategy to kill it that actually worked. But I digress.

So I've gotten 6/6 of the flying goat men killed! With a whole bunch of zone boss wins I'll be able to get the Discernment Abyssite that all the kids are talking about.

1 comment:

  1. You've probably seen my post but the Bosses are fine in comparison to Rani and Raja.

    Glavoid is about the only bitchy one. Cirein-coin is a walk in the park.

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete