Saturday, February 12, 2011

People don't need gil anymore? (Also: "Free" R3 for your WHM)

I was listening to episode #242 or #241 Pet Food Alpha podcast a few days ago, and the hosts mentioned that people don't really need gil anymore. Personally, having been playing less (i.e. no fishing+sushi making) I was broke and having trouble buying my new Black Magic/Ninjutsu scrolls. And doing random pickup groups killing NMs I see people scoffing at the idea of splurging to buy a 5K gil pop item. You know, we can just spend 15 minutes trying to get one to drop each kill rather than having 3-6 pops ready to go. Having leveled Ninja to 90 I'm using it a lot more and the cost of tools has gone up sharply, and I see lots of people complaining about that as well. Meds like Echo Drops seem to have become largely optional luxury items as well.

So have we entered some sort of "Post-Gil Economy"? It's true most of the new best gear is "free." But that was also sort of the case for most jobs for the past couple years. Thoughts?

Get Your Raise III Already, Dammit!

So I've run into quite a few 75+ White Mages who don't have Raise III. "OMG It's Super Expensive!!!!!111" I'm told. Well, that's true. It's 500-1,000K across servers. Of course, it's also soloable by a 75 Summoner with some MP meds. For those unfamiliar: "Summoner soloing" is code for "boring the mob (and any spectators) to death."

Which means other jobs can do it as well by level 90.

The KS30 I'm talking about is E-vase-sive Action.
I didn't say it's 100% safe.

You fight one of six elementally aligned Pot NMs. People pick the Wind Pot because there's frequent 2x Ice weather and Choke, Silence, and Gravity are not particularly threatening spells. At about 50% HP the Pot will use Chainspell. For jobs with Utsusemi the only real danger is from a -ga3 spell. The Wind Pot is susceptible to Paralyze and it proc's often.

If you wipe and RR the Pot won't use Chainspell a second time.

I've done this a bunch of times as Monk.
Of course most runs don't result in an R3 scroll, but what else are you going to do with KS? You get 24K in gil and usually at least another 20-50K in AH/NPCable stuff if all else fails.

As Monk I tried /NIN, /DNC, and /WHM. Of the three /NIN is probably the safest. Single target, Chainspell'd Tornado/Aero IV will wreck your shit. I haven't personally lost an orb yet, and it's a complete joke if I use Hundred Fists.

Puppetmasters need not be left out in the cold.
It's easily soloable on PUP too.
But what about the White Mages I initially mentioned? So let's see what White Mages have going for them:
1) Good skill with Club (a blunt weapon; Pots take extra blunt damage), and a multi-hit crit WS (Hexastrike)
2) Shell V, MDB Trait, Stoneskin, and decent magic defense
3) Paralyze (it sticks and procs pretty often), Haste, and Cure V/VI
4) Abilty to /NIN

I'd be surprised if a WHM80/NIN40 couldn't win this KS30 solo. The job that actually needs something from this is quite well suited to solo it. (I'd say Square-Enix did this on purpose, but we all know better.)

The cat's out of the bag. There's no reason to be "gimp" on your White Mage anymore. Go pummel an Air Pot and get yourself the scroll.

And in case it's somehow not clear this KS30 is even more of a joke with two or three DD/NINs duoing or trioing it. Just bring RR in case an errant -ga3 drops you.

6 comments:

  1. Actually I've been spamming this BC with a friend for his R3 and it won't drop :(. We're actually going to do Kirin for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know if you do Kirin for R3 he'll drop 2x W.legs, right? XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. The level 75 ones don't have any caps on them. So you can go into KS30/99s as a level 90 job. I think the ENM75s are still capped though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done E-vase-sive Action literally naked as BST90/WHM45 using Flowerpot Merle. She's a MNK Lycopodium pet so she destroys the pots. I didn't even use food or anything. Too bad I never get R3 scroll. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlikely ga?!?!! This's such a lie!!! Expect at least THREE ga on every run.

    Did this with BST, 100% win every single time, ga is a joke to my friend's pet.

    Did this solo with MNK TWICE, got at least 3 gas every run and died every single time regardless of /NIN or /DNC!
    Each ga wipes full 3 shadows + 1848 dmg when on /NIN!

    ga can happen as soon as start of battle, on /DNC run, it hits me before I manage to build enough TP for a Curing Waltz II.
    Unless I'm extremely unlucky and this blog's owner extremely lucky, this blog is highly inaccurate!

    ReplyDelete