Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Guard Skill-Ups!

I've been playing FFXI again lately for the first time in a while. Over the past year (I mean the previous 12 months not calendar year) I hadn't really played any games for the first six months. Then I picked up a copy of Dark Souls and played the shit out of that for the past two months. If you haven't played it I highly recommend it.

Anyway, back to FFXI. Pretty much everybody I'd been playing it with has quit. So it's got an almost single player feel to it for me now. I got the expansion and did something I haven't done in years: Walk around a brand new town and talk to everyone, flag a bunch of quests, open up new jobs (that I have no idea if they make decent subjobs or not), and explore the new areas.

Naturally, the first thing I did was skill-up Guard.

Excitement.
SE changed how it skills-up to be like Evasion in that you don't need to actually Guard to skill-up. It went from 180 -> 269 (the level 75 cap if I recall correctly) in practically no time. I used the have-a-shitton-of-monsters-all-hitting-me method pioneered by Elmer the Pointy, of course.
It works amazingly well and I capped out a little over 300 Guard skill. It's still not that great a skill, but having what's effectively a reverse critical hit more than once per decade is pretty nice.

The next day I bought the expansion, so the next post will be about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment