Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Picking up where I left off... making a Coin H2H and /stab Shoggoth

Pretty.
Merry Tuesday, everyone!

Back when I quit Abyssea was still all the rage, but people had also figured out how Voidwatch worked and it was getting pretty popular. I did a bit, but never got too into it really. I'd been spamming Walk of Echoes on Summoner to get the 30 Coins of Advancement I'd need to get a Coin H2H weapon if I didn't get the Chloris and whatever other NM needed for a Verthy.

But since I stopped playing the Coins are no longer Ex and the Devious Dies won't run you 200 million Gil, so all that stood in the way was the VNMs. The first was Shoggoth, so I went VNM hunting.

It could have gone better. I don't have a screenshot of my first attempt as Monk, so here's a picture of my second one on PUP.
Pictured: Things not going as planned.
Yeah. I failed pretty miserably.

I had asked on BG if it was soloable and told that if I had the amazingly broken and overpowered Alternator it's extremely easy. I don't have an Alternator. So I came up with an alternative strategy: /shout and ask random strangers for help. I'm kidding, of course. I never do that. I'm anti-social or something. But I did, in fact, come up with an actual strategy.
You'll never guess what it was. I did a whole bunch of Synthing, which SE made a lot less time consuming by removing that stupid fucking delay between synths, and made lots of Repair oils and Dawn Mulsum.

My second attempt, again, ended in death. But I didn't lose. I learned something. The Wikis all mentioned that Shoggoth Chainspells every 20% of its health and hate resets. using the PLD-type Valoredge head and body and lots of defensive Attachments Bougrion couldn't be outright killed. But Bougrion also has a hard time keeping hate every Chainspell as Shoggoth makes a beeline for me. But Shoggoth only comes after me because I was using Repair every time it was up. So the easy solution is to just not do that. I also changed from /DNC, which had been completely useless, to /RDM so I could Cure IV myself from out of range as well as having Refresh to keep MP up and Shell to mitigate the magic damage I would almost certainly take.
I still ended up dying, but that's because I'd run out of Dawn Mulsums and had to use Repair. I think getting it down to that low on HP shows it's eminently possible.

So I can go two different ways with this:

1) The first is just stand back and burn through ~30 Dusk Mulsums and outlast Shoggoth.

2) The other is to use Repair to supplement the meds and rely on the Strobe attachment's Provoke when Chainspell goes off.

I think I'll probably just go with the safe route. The hardest part is probably going to be getting White Honey unless an NPC sells it now for a reasonable price. (Leave a comment if they do, please.)

So I'm just a few kills away from being able to finally Smite things mightily. :-D

UPDATE: And as I put this up I realized how completely safe and viable the second approach is: Ventriloqy. Just use it on Chainspell and Bougrion has hate again. A pathetically tiny amount, but hate nonetheless.

15 comments:

  1. NEVAR!!!!!11

    I did actually finish the Coin H2H to 90. I partially wrote a post about it, but haven't finished it yet. Then I went into Abyssea and loved me some Smiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear EP, it's Epic. I miss you. I guess you aren't getting FF14, ya know, judging from the "NEVAR" (I'm getting my sugar daddy to cover my bill) but I wanted you to know I was thinking about you and I miss your crazy antics, D2ing me, and making fun of EB while she reads your insults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too and am glad to hear you're doing OK. I may pick up 14 eventually on a Steam sale or something, but for now I'm MMO-ed out. I need to try and pretend to be a productive adult. It was really nice to hear from you again though.

      Delete
    2. *Epic again* I want a way to keep in touch other than Googleing you pie blog haha lemme know ^^ and I am happy I was missed and you are doing well! Pretending to be a productive adult is also tiring so if we see you in 14 I will be happy! ^^ I can only adult for so long ya know!

      Delete
    3. Look me up on Facebook at evilpaul@gmail.com we can keep in touch on there. (I think that works, if not let me know.) I miss you guys. :)

      Delete
  3. BTW the first comment was from me BRIM!!!
    LOL
    FF14
    GET ON IT!!!
    I mesagged you in game which server we ALL on

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one play FF11 no more
    ive been there by myself for the past few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I let my FFXI CC account expire in August. So I can't check it. The expansion was practically like a single player game. I saw a few familiar faces around whatever the hub city was, but it was otherwise not really interesting. Tell Epic I said hi though and if I get FFXIV I'd definitely like to meet up with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didnt even get xpac didnt plan on playing it since i did beta for ff14
    only activated it to see who is on still
    and get u guys to play ff14
    very casual fun game no grind hours on end bs
    i also messaged you from epic website u should get an email if u didnt check on website

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sent a message and I think it was you but I don't know so I was like HI I DUNNO IF YOU ARE YOU BUT I HOPE YOU ARE YOU OR THERE WILL BE LULZ. If it was you...lemme know. My pic is me eating a cupcake. like :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get it, so it went to somebody else. I'll PM you my info on the old LS website. If Brim or Ameyna want to add me too they're welcome to. I think it should email you a notification. I just looked and it's still active! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude are you alive?


    message me on website if u cant log in make new account fool

    Brim

    ReplyDelete